Saturday, January 3, 2009

Not what I expected

When you're younger New Years Eve is a night to get all dolled up and "let'er snap". Ring in the new year with a terrible hang over and a few less bucks in your wallet (usually even a few less than you planned on spending)! A lot of people consider New Year's Eve "amature" night- a night for all the barley legals to get wasted, get in trouble and make stupid decisions. I will admit New Year's was all that and more for me when I was in my early 20's. But as you get older it does change.


New Years Eve this year was going to be a quiet one no matter what we decided to do. J and I had already agreed that we did not want to go out to the bars and spend wads of cash just to feel like crap the next day. We had a few options: go to my friend Melanie's house party in Green Bay, go to our friends Tom & Roxanne's for drinks and board games or stay home.


New Years Eve day was spent lumping around and watching episodes of CSI from seasons 7-9. At about 2 pm I decided to see if Melanie wanted to go to lunch before her big party started. I had decided to stay home with J and Parker that night- just something about spending New Year's Eve away from my honey felt wrong. Instead of going out for a late lunch Melanie had plans with her parents to cook out steaks and eat at her house. I showered quick, picked up a small tenderloin and 6 pack of Blue Moon at Festival and was on my way to Green Bay. I'm glad I decided to go -even for dinner- and the beers started to taste like I may have been spending the night! A few people started showing up around 7 pm- most I didn't know, a few I did and it was nice to see them. After eating steak, potatoes & garlic bread the beers certainly weren't going down as well or as fast and I think I only ended up having 3 the entire time I was there! At about 8:30 I was getting ready to go when there was a knock on the door. There was a neighbor of Mel's asking if anyone in the party had the green Blazer- my green blazer- parked on the street across the road. We all thought maybe it needed to be moved and Mel asked. The neighbor informed her that no it did not need to be moved..... his son had just hit it coming around (sliding around) the corner. Not what I was expecting to hear and definitely not what I was wanting to hear. I don't think I mentioned that Melanie is a Police Officer in Ashwaubenon and the majority of the party were Police Officers! She immediately called in the accident and the police where there within a matter of minutes. I also called J to tell him not to drink anymore in case the truck wasn't drivable and he would need to come and get me. It ended up being okay to drive with just a flat tire and a portion of the bumper and back driver-side quarter panel damaged. I drove to the gas station to fill the tire with air and waited at the house for 45 minutes to see if it would leak. It was fine and by 10:30 I was on the road heading home. I should have stayed but needless to say was not in too much of a mood to party all night long. I think I also forgot to mention that the kid was only 16 and had only had it drivers license for 2 weeks. I actually almost felt bad for him when I saw the look in dad's eyes- I would much rather have been in my situation than his! And yes they did have insurance!


So needless to say even though it was supposed to be a quiet, non-eventful night- the drama still found me a half hour from home!


I promise to attach some pictures of the damage if you promise NOT to notice how bad the Blazer needs a washing!









Thank goodness this was the last day of 2008 and not the start of my 2009!

1 comment:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

I'm so sorry abou the damage to your car. Not a good way to celebrate the new year. We ate dinner at our favorite restaurant and was safely home by 9:00pm. we were both in bed by 10:30. We far prefer the quiet and hang over free celebration.