Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Resolutions


With 2008 coming to a close and 2009 staring us in the eyes it is inevitable that resolutions are on the brain. The new year gives us a chance to start fresh and believe that this year we are going to do it. But if you're like most people this will fade by mid year if not sooner. A recent resolutions study showed that of the people surveyed 52% had confidence that they would succeed with their goals but only 12% actually did succeed. The study also showed that 20% would give up on their resolution within the first week of January.

Here are some ways to make it easier to succeed in your resolutions:

* Be realistic (hittng the Powerball or becoming a millionaire is not a realistic resolution)

* Set specific goals (Try "lose 4 pounds each month" instead of just "lose weight")

* Break down your larger goals into smaller goals ("lose weight" could be broken down into exercise more, join a gym and eat healthier)

* Only set goals for things you are passionate about not things you think you "should" do

* Get help from family and friends to stay focused and on course

* Don't get down on yourself

* Expect it to take time (you will probably not lose 30 pounds by Valentine's day and you will probably not quit smoking cold turkey tomorrow-unless you are my dad!)

* Keep a journal or success list

* Reward yourself when you are doing well


My goals this year are the same goals that were on my list last year... and the year before... and well you get the picture: lose some weight, eat healthier, exercise more, save money, pay off debt and quit smoking (again)

But I'd like to be honest with myself so here is my realistic list- the list I WANT to be successful with:
  • Work on my anxiety issues
I'm not expecting to wake up one morning and no longer have anxiety- I'd just like to get a handle on it.

  • Go down a size or 2 in clothing

I'm not obsessed with my actual weight, I know that building muscle will make you weigh more- I'm more conscious of how I look in and how my clothing feels on.

  • Learn portion control when eating
I LOVE food (especially J's cooking) and refuse to go on a diet where I will constantly be craving things, I also know that I tend to eat until I'm "stuffed" or "eat everything on my plate" (the way we were all raised)

  • Go to the gym more than the required times per month

(I joined Gold's Gym through my work and they pay 1/2 of our monthly membership as long as we use the gym 8 times per month). I enjoy going to the gym- especially my Body Flow Class- so this should not be that difficult to obtain- however December has not been a good month with the holidays and the terrible weather I find myself curling up in my jammies and saying "I'll go tomorrow"



  • Start putting away money in savings for our future
I've always tried to be a saver but unforeseen issues would come up and the nest egg that had been packed away would get spent. Now that we have eliminated 75% of our debt, putting a little away from each paycheck should not be a problem. There are so many things we want to and need to save for: a certain Vegas Vacation (April 2010), Parker driving in 3 yrs & college in 5 yrs, purchasing a home down the road, and retirement (never too early to plan for that right)


  • Keep in better contact with family and friends

I love talking and usually have a lot to say- so do my friends and family! I find it terribly hard- especially when on the phone all day- to make phone calls when I get home at night. I know I can't sit down and have a 5 minute conversation, so I tend to not do it at all. I really want to work on this- even if I have to start the conversation with "I only have 10 minutes but wanted to see how you're doing"


  • Quit smoking

This is the hardest one by far and I start to get irrational thoughts just thinking about it- but I did it in the past- for 10 months- I can do it again, I know I can)


I'm sure there will be occasional blogs as to my success or struggles with all of the above.


So what are your goals for the new year?


May everyone have a safe and Happy New Year!


See you in '09



2 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

I used to make resolutions but don't any more. I rarely followed through on my goals, then I'd beat up myself for failing. I am what I am. If I were a smoker, that would be numero uno on my list of goals. Kudos to you for squashing the smoking habit!

It's not really a resolution, but I want to be a better person. I want to give more, criticize less, become more tolerant of things I cannot control, reduce the stress in my life, and adopt a healthier lifestyle.

Good luck! And happy New Year to you and J :)

Roxanne Schwandt said...

I love your suggestions for setting resolutions that are obtainable. Thanks Nikki!! I'll have to start thinking of what I will set my goal for in '09. Probably to be the best mother and parent to Nathan that I can be.