Saturday, January 17, 2009

50 completely honest things about me: Part 2 of 50

Part 2 of 50: I love Mixed Martial Arts fighting

About 4 years ago J started DVRing episodes of the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. It’s a real world type show where a bunch of guys live in a house together and train for mixed martial arts fighting. The winner of the show gets a contract to fight in the UFC. I also started watching with him and was immediately hooked! We now DVR ALL episodes of UFC as well.

Let me give you a little background before I continue. The UFC was founded in 1993. Mixed Martial Arts is an extremely intense sport using many different forms of martial arts together. Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Freestyle wrestling, Greco-Roman wrestling, Jiu-Jutsu, Judo, Muay Thai, Karate, Kickboxing, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do and more. Fighting is made up of Strikes (blows with the hands, feet, knees and elbows) or Grappling (submissions, throws, choke holds and takedowns)

There are five different classes in UFC. Lightweight (145-155 lbs); Welterweight (155-170lbs); Middleweight(170-185lbs); Light Heavyweight (185-205lbs) and Heavyweight )205-265lbs). For a title fight to win the belt each fighter must be within the weight limit for the class they are fighting in. Championship matches will consist of 5- 5 minute rounds. Non-championship fights are 3-5 minute rounds. Fights take place in a caged, octagon shaped ring.

The only authorized dress is a pair of 4-6 ounce gloves (just to protect the hands) and a pair of wrestling or kickboxing shhhorrts… sorry I just shivered. You would have to if you’ve seen some of these bodies, er, I mean shorts.

Being such a fan I do have my favorites.

My main man. My numero uno. Is George St Pierre. They call him GSP or Rush but I prefer my own personal pet name...oops I mean nickname Bulldog.


He is quick, he is tough, he can take ANYONE down, I love that he kicks A LOT...He is one BAD MUTHA…

He has 17 wins/2 losses and is the current welterweight champion. He will be fighting BJ Penn to retain his belt on January 31st. I can’t even explain how excited I am about this fight! I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa to come.
The fight is on pay per view and we will be hosting it at our house that night.



My numero uno point cinco (not my main man but definitely higher on my list than second) Is the champion of The Ultimate Fighter Season One: FOOORRREESSSTTT GRIIFFIINNNNNN (sorry, in my head it sounds like the announcer). Forrest Griffin is his name. He’s irish. He is also one BAD MUTHA.

He is 14-4 and was the previous Light Heavyweight champion but recently lost the title (in a very upsetting fight, may I add) against Rashad “Sugar” Evans.


My other favorites include Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes, Wanderlei (pronounced Vanderlei)Silva, BJ Penn and Frank Mir.
I’m a junky and I would just crumple to pieces sobbing if I could ever go to a fight!





Oh, yeah and remember NO CALLS between 8pm and 12am on January 31- if you call I may have to do a rear-naked choke hold on yo ass!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Honey, I love you so much BUT I just went on line to check out tickets for UFC....Please feel free to watch those gorgeous bodies on TV.

Kristen said...

Wow. That's all I can say. I didn't realize the passion and the fire that burned in you for UFC.