Tuesday, January 27, 2009

50 Completely Honest Things About Me: Part 4 of 50

It's hard to believe it's been almost a week since I posted. I've been having withdrawls but I'm back now!


Part 4 of 50: I’m Scared of Birds

I have no idea where this “bird anxiety” came from or when it started. I’ve never been attacked or bitten by a bird. I’ve never even seen the movie The Birds. I just don’t like them.

Growing up, a friend of mine had birds- Macaws, I believe. They were really cool to look at and they did talk but I would get really edgy when they were out of their cage and able to fly around the house.

I had a semi-pet pigeon growing up as well. My dad is a bird hunter and I grew up with German Shorthair Pointers (bird hunting dogs). Dad would purchase birds for training purposes. He let a crate full of pigeons go in the wild once and we had one come back to the house. She would not leave and we decided to call her Lolly. She would follow my dad around the yard while he was doing chores and yard work and she’d perch outside of the backdoor of the house. She stayed around for a couple of years and actually died in a tragic bird-lawn tractor accident one summer. She was dive bombing my dad’s head and trying to knock his hat off while he was mowing the lawn one summer afternoon. I believe the story is that she missed his hat and landed on the ground right in front of the mower. There was nothing my dad could do.

I even held a huge parrot while on my Senior Class Trip at Busch Gardens in Florida. There is a picture out there somewhere and I can guarantee there is not a smile on my face!

I don't mind looking at them from safely inside the house but I don't like them if I am outside. And you will never find me feeding them in the yard. In fact, J and I received a beautiful bird feeder for a wedding gift and I did hang it in the tree in our yard- but I never put feed in it!

1 comment:

Jamie Payne said...

Now I know why we're such good friends...you're just as weird as me. Except I don't have a bird phobia.