Tuesday, February 24, 2009

50 Completely Honest Things About Me: Part 7 of 50

Part 7 of 50: I am extremely organized and anal about it

I have not been organized, clean or anal my entire life, however unlike some of my earlier posts I know exactly when this happened.

It was the first day of college, when I was forced to move into a shoe box... with a complete stranger...that was an absolute pig.

In high school, my mom would yell until she was blue in the face for me to pick up my room. There was usually a path from the door to my bed and from my bed to the closet. Half empty soda cans, dirty plates, clean/semi-clean/dirty clothes all rolled together, junk, junk and more junk. I'm old enough now to admit my own fault in this- but you all should also know that it's the way I was raised. Both of my parents are terrible pac-rats! It was inevitable that I would also be a "saver".

My bedroom growing up was an odd shape- but overall a decent room: 10x19 with a huge closet. And it was packed to the gills with stuff. Imagine my horror when I was informed that my dorm room- the one I had to share- was only 11x15. It was very hard for me to pack to move to college.

I kept my things as tidy and in order as I knew how, while my roommate was not so organized. There was a day I almost broke my neck tripping and sliding on her stuff! It was then and there that I decided I needed to be organized and became anal about it. I have a color coded file cabinet, all of my shoes are in a shoe organizer, my purses are in bins separated by size and need (everyday, going out, etc). I love organizer contraptions, hooks, holders, etc.

When planning an event or traveling- I have everything in order- usually in a folder. I get a lot of crap from my NSOF's (not so organized friends) but deep down inside I know they admire it!!!
My ladies pool team decided to enter an all woman's tournament in Three Lakes, WI a few years back. We actually did it 3 years in a row but being our first time, I was nervous about finding the bars, what times we played, etc. Having real estate resources for the entire state of WI I was able to photo copy plat map pages of the area we were playing in, make dots where each of the establishments was and had a sheet with address & phone numbers for each place in case we ran late for a match. It was all kept nicely in a folder and we never ran into a problem the entire weekend. But I got harassed the entire weekend as well!!!

Honestly, being organized saves me a lot of headaches and I don't mind anymore- it's who I am- and I like it.......so does J (to a point)!

2 comments:

Jamie Payne said...

Yes, this is definitely one of the reasons why we are such great friends. I love being organized and I got it from my OCD mother. Sometimes you may not guess that I'm an organized person based on the state of my house, but it's hard to keep up with a slob for a husband and 3 kids!

Kristen said...

Your organization is one of the best things about you! I LOVE it!