Thursday, February 26, 2009

The College Commentaries-Part 1

College was definitely one of the greatest times of my life. I still talk about it often and relive it quarterly, on girls weekends!
High school, was high school. I was part of the popular group in school. With only 26 kids in my graduating class it was kind of hard not to be in the popular group- the entire class was the popular group!
I was mediocre at best- getting good enough grades to get into a few decent state universities. I remember the day the letters came in the mail. Thick is good, thin is bad, is what we were told. They all came, one by one and each one was neither thin nor thick. The heartburn rose in my chest as I fumbled to open the envelopes with my parents as the audience. UW-Green Bay: Congratulations and welcome! UW- Oshkosh: Congratulations! UW-Stevens Point: Congratulations and welcome! Holy shit- all three. The only three I had applied to. Now the big decision came- where should I go?
Green Bay was nice, I toured it with my parents and the underground tunnels were a definite selling point in the frozen tundra. I didn't even visit Oshkosh because too many of my classmates were attending. I felt it would be too much like living in Pembine and I was trying to get the hell out of there. Stevens Point, I toured, sans parents with my friend Breia, her boyfriend was a Freshman and we were able to stay with him for a weekend. I got to see behind the scene Stevens Point and I fell in love. A small, homey campus with very fun basement parties. My mind was made up. Didn't help that an attractive Junior hit on me and believed me when I said I was a Freshman. I toured with my parents as well and was given the thumbs up- as long as I didn't bring home "one of those DNR agents in training"!
I had made a decision and now all I had to do was wait.....

No comments: