Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mixed Feelings

Today is an extremely joyful day... yet a day of bittersweet sorrow as well. Today marks the day that a HUGE chapter in our lives- J's and mine- is ended and closed and that another chapter is started.

Today is the day we sold our house. The documents have been signed, keys handed off and the new owners are moved in. This is the day we have been waiting for since September 1st when we listed and figured it would be a year or more before we sold, the day we've been waiting for since October 30th when we got the offer and the day we've been waiting for since December 5th (the original closing date) when the deal fell apart due to financing. This is the day we have been praying for and yet I don't feel as excited as I thought I would. I'm upset that we're closing a chapter of our lives, I'm upset that MY little house on Wisconsin Avenue is no longer mine, I'm up set that we are no longer "home owners" -just renters now. I'm upset that I no longer get to admire all of our "sweat equity" when we look around at what we did over the years and I'm upset to think that someone new is going to come in and change it all.

BUT on the same hand-

I am happy that we are closing a chapter and starting another, I'm happy that we no longer have the financial burden of that little house on Wisconsin Avenue, I'm happy that we no longer have the responsibilities, financial & maintenance, of being home owners, I am happy that we will be virtually debt free after this, I get excited to think of what we will do to a future house and I am happy for the buyers and hope they cherish that little house as much as we did.


I am in a total and complete state of mixed emotions right now.


So it is here that I pay tribute to our little house- never to be forgotten. Our first home together, our first large financial commitment to each other, the place that J carried me over the threshold after our wedding, the first chapter in our lives together.



















Goodbye W11469 Wisconsin Avenue in Dunbar



*** We will miss you ***

4 comments:

Roxanne Schwandt said...

My first thought when I got your email was that you were PREGNANT!

Congrats on the sale of your house. I'm sure I will have the same bitter-sweet feeling when the time comes we sell our 1st house. I'm happy for you guys - way to go! You did it!!

dramamamaof2 said...

Hey Nikki!
This is your cousin!
Congrats! I was expecting to hear of a pregnancy!!!
I'm glad everything is going well for you & J!
Love & miss you!

Kristen said...

Wow...I can imagine it would be a moment of mixed feelings. But I am happy for you nonetheless...keep your chin up...you have all those great memories to reflect on.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Your first home is always and forever special. The next home, and the next several don't hold the same place in your heart. All the same, a little piece of me is sad to see a chapter of our life close with each home we leave. When a door closes, God opens a window. You and J will have another home someday...one that is just as meaningful. Hey - can you send a little luck our way? Our house has been on the market 20 months. Congrats on the sale of your home!